Contempt of Court, Contempt for 'We the People'

By SUA Staff – In the Obama Administration, ethics and the rule-of-law only matters when it serves their political purposes. What matters most to each and every one of his leadership team is implementing liberal ideas without playing by the rules because they would never pass in the way our system was designed.

Ignore the courts, end-runs around Congress, or when Harry Reid was in charge, lock it down are so common now, it is hard to believe there is not more ire then is currently visible in our society.

As Abraham Lincoln famously said, “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Obama and team are succeeding in proving him correct.

Contempt for "We the People"
Contempt for “We the People”

The ‘transformation’ of our once great nation is on ‘warp drive’ and each day another example of the lawlessness of the Obama Administration is exposed.

The latest example involves the Department of Homeland Security, at the highest levels, disobeying a court order and misleadin a judge about it.

When the DOJ refused to follow-up on Lois Lerner’s Contempt of Congress charge, no one was really surprised.

Now that is juxtaposed in this setting with an interesting twist, U.S. District Judge Hanen is now threatening high level officials with contempt-of-court. He is not happy; we are not happy.

When EPA Chief McCarthy blithely waves off a SCOTUS decision, who is there to stop her? Blatant contempt of our highest court, but what does it matter when that court has contempt of our constitution?

Would it not be grand to finally see someone like Jeh Johnson in hand-cuffs as he is whisked off for booking? Not to mention a few DOJ lawyers who already misled and lied to the judge prior?

Finally we would get to see at least one ‘perp-walk’ of the many who desperately deserve the same. This administration has stretched just about everything to its limit; by hook or crook; soon we will be destroyed from within – so cavalierly. Contempt for ‘we the people’ is clear!

Judge orders Jeh Johnson, Homeland Security chief, others to court

– Associated Press/Washington Times

HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge in Texas has threatened to hold Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson and other top immigration enforcement officials in contempt of court for not fixing problems that led to work permits being mistakenly awarded under President Barack Obama’s executive immigration action after the judge had put the plan on hold.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen of Brownsville
U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen of Brownsville

The Justice Department had said about 2,000 individuals had been sent three-year work authorizations after U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen in Brownsville, Texas, temporarily blocked the immigration action on Feb. 16.

In a court order Tuesday, Hanen said government officials have yet to fix the problem. The judge also requested Johnson and four other officials attend an Aug. 19 hearing to explain why the issue hasn’t been fixed and to “be prepared to show why he or she should not be held in contempt of court.”

“This court has expressed its willingness to believe that these actions were accidental and not done purposefully to violate this court’s order. Nevertheless, it is shocked and surprised at the cavalier attitude the government has taken with regard to its ‘efforts’ to rectify this situation,” Hanen wrote.

The other officials are: R. Gil Kerlikowske, commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection; Ronald Vitiello, deputy chief of the U.S. Border Patrol; Sarah Saldaña, director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement; and Leon Rodriguez, director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Homeland Security spokeswoman Marsha Catron said in an email her agency and the Justice Department are reviewing Hanen’s order. Justice Department spokesman Patrick Rodenbush declined to comment.

In court documents filed in May, Rodríguez had said his agency had implemented “immediate corrective measures,” including revoking the permits and modifying computer systems to prevent issuing such permits in the future.

Hanen said in his order that if the federal government fixes the problem by July 31, he will cancel the Aug. 19 hearing.

Obama proposed in November expanding a program that protects young immigrants from deportation if they were brought to the U.S. illegally as children and adding another that extends deportation protections to parents of U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have been in the country for some years.

He said lack of action by Congress forced him to make sweeping changes to immigration rules on his own, but Republicans said Obama overstepped his authority.obama_Hanen

The judge had issued the injunction at the request of a coalition of 26 states, led by Texas, which have filed a lawsuit to stop Obama’s action, saying it is unconstitutional.

An appeal of Hanen’s ruling is set to be argued Friday before the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.

Hanen has previously criticized the federal government’s actions in the lawsuit, saying the government had been “misleading” after officials revealed that more than 108,000 people had already received three-year reprieves from deportation as well as work permits when the judge had believed that no action would be taken before he issued a ruling on the injunction.

Justice Department attorneys apologized for any confusion regarding the 108,000 reprieves but insisted they were granted under a 2012 program that wasn’t affected by the injunction.

Along with Texas, the states seeking to block Obama’s action are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Malls in Peril? – DHS Sec Warns of Al Shabaab Video Threat

Editor’s Note – In what is seemingly becoming a contest for supremacy of how evil a Militant Jihad group can be, some high profile terror organizations like Boko Haram and al Shabaab are ratcheting up the threats to possibly prove they can be even worse than Da’esh.

Even though many other terror factions are uniting with Islamic State, it seems all terror groups want more press and it does not bode well for the civilized world. In a video released by al Shabbab, the threats are focused on malls in the US, Canada, and the UK.

West Edmonton Mall and Water Park in Canada
West Edmonton Mall and Water Park in Canada

The video purportedly shows 6 minutes of graphic images and the terrorists celebrating the 2013 Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya, that killed more than 60 people.

The narrator, his face wrapped in a black-and-white kaffiyeh-type scarf and wearing a camouflage jacket, spoke with a British accent and appeared to be of Somali origin. He accused Kenyan troops in Somalia of committing abuses against Somali Muslims.

He ended the video by calling on Muslim men to attack other shopping malls in Western countries.

Perhaps it is just a way to continue to ring our bell, or a recruiting grab of their own, they focused on Minneapolis where the largest Somali population in the US exists. Officials are taking it all seriously and DHS Secretary warn everyone on the Sunday talk shows but may have walked some of that back:

The Department of Homeland Security has denied it is aware of any credible terrorist plots against shopping centers on US soil after their chief advised shoppers, particularly in the Mall of America, to be careful following threats from Somali extremists.

“We are not aware of any specific, credible plot against the Mall of America or any other domestic commercial shopping center,” Homeland Security Department spokeswoman Marsha Catron said in a statement. She noted, however, that federal agents have shared the information with local law enforcement and “private sector partners.”

However, this scenario is not new, and we all remember the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya where over 60 were killed by al Shabaab in a sophisticated attack. They are also sending a message when we see the young being trained and the recent suicide bombing by a 7-year old in Nigeria. They are telling us that they are in it for the long haul no matter what the west does to Da’esh, al Qaeda, or any terror group by any name.

No matter how high the possibility is, the world has seen the evil mount rapidly and no one is feeling safe. In an abundance of caution, authorities have ramped up the message despite Obama’s conciliatory speeches of late.

Meanwhile, DHS report warns of domestic right-wing terror threat, imagine that! One also has to consider the fact that the DHS budget deadline looms.

DHS Secretary Warns as DHS Bill Comes Up: ‘If Anyone Is Planning to Go to The Mall…’

By Susan Jones – CNSNews.com

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson went on the Sunday talk shows to demand that Republicans fund the Department of Homeland Security without blocking money for President Obama’s executive amnesty plan.

Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya attacked by al Shabaab last year.
Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya attacked by al Shabaab last year.

But he prefaced his you-better-fund-my-department pitch by warning that an al Qaeda-linked terror group, Al-Shabaab, is publicly calling for attacks on shopping malls in the United States, specifically the Mall of America in Minneapolis.

“I would say that, if anyone is planning to go to the Mall of America today, they have got to be particularly careful. And, as the statement you read indicates, there will be enhanced security there that will be apparent to people who are there,” Johnson told CNN’s “State of the Union” with Gloria Borger.

But on at least two of the Sunday morning shows, Johnson steered the hosts to the topic he wanted to talk about — Republicans using a DHS funding bill to block President Obama’s immigration policy, which goes beyond the scope of current law.

After talking about the threatening al-Shabaab video on CNN, Johnson said that “public vigilance, public awareness and public caution in situations like this is particularly important. And it’s the environment we’re in, frankly. And it’s all the more reason why I need a budget. And I’m assuming you’re going to ask me about that.”

“I will,” host Gloria Borger replied. “I am going to ask about that because, of course, this comes down at a time when Republicans in Congress are threatening to shut down your department in a week over a fight on immigration.”

Some 40 million people visit the Mall of America in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Some 40 million people visit the Mall of America in Minneapolis, Minnesota

(In fact, Republicans say they do not want to shut down DHS. They want to fund the Department of Homeland Security, except for President Obama’s plan to give work authorization and Social Security numbers to millions of illegal aliens living in the United States.)

The same thing happened later on ABC’s “This Week” with George Stephanopoulos, whose first three questions to Johnson involved national security, not DHS funding:

Johnson told Stephanopoulos, “The reason I think we’re all concerned about this is because it encourages independent actors who could strike with very little notice to our intelligence community, our law enforcement community here at home.

And so that’s one of the reasons, frankly, why it’s imperative that we have a budget for the Department of Homeland security, which is due to expire at the end of the week. And I’m assuming you’ll ask me about that at some point.”

“I will ask you about that,” Stephanopoulos replied. But first he asked Johnson about something else.

According to CNN, DHS officials began “walking back” Johnson’s warning after he appeared on the Sunday shows.

DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson
DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson

A spokesman for DHS told CNN the agency “is not aware of any specific credible plot against the Mall of America or any other domestic commercial shopping center.”

“Secretary Johnson didn’t say that they should not go to the mall, he told shoppers to be extra vigilant and that security was increased,” CNN quoted DHS Assistant Secretary Tanya Bradsher as saying.

Johnson later told CNN he does not regret any of the comments he made on the Sunday shows.

The threat of lone-wolf attacks in the United States is nothing new, nor is it a surprise that shopping malls might be a target.

And as Johnson amplified the video message from al-Shabaab Sunday morning, he said he was doing it because “there needs to be vigilance and, you know, just be careful, obviously.

It is a new phase. We’re in a new phase right now. And that involves public participation in our efforts.”